LANGUAGE & INTERNSHIP PROGRAM IN CHINA
A Partnership between the Victorian Government and the China Education Association for International Exchange (CEAIE)
Revised Dates - Monday 4th December 2017 - Friday 26th January 2018
The Study Melbourne Language and Internship Program in China offers Victorian tertiary students, the opportunity for language study, cultural engagement and an internship placement in a globally reputable, Fortune 500 or leading multi-national company operating in China. The program allows you to develop professional skills, enhance your ability to communicate across cultures and will provide substantive work experience to jump start your career in today's competitive job market. All this while making new professional and peer connections from both China and other Victorian universities.
This immersive 8 week program will include 3 weeks of language study in a selected Beijing University and will also include cultural and business classes to assist in preparing you for a 5 week internship placement with a company that will best match your specific discipline.
The Victorian Government will fund up to 25 places on this, the first round of a 4 year partnership.
The program is offered to all 8 Victorian universities and Deakin will nominate it's top five applicants to go through to the second phase of selection by Study Melbourne.
Applicants are eligible if:
- Are able to obtain visa to travel to China for the program
- 18 years or older
- Enrolled full time and have completed 8 units of study
- Have a weighted average mark of 70 or higher
- Have a letter of recommendation from their University (this can be provided by either Deakin Abroad or an academic depending on your Faculty)
- Applicants do NOT necessarily have to be Australian passport holders or Mandarin speakers
- This program is open to both domestic and international students
The following skills, experience and motivation are relevant to this program and will be addressed during the selection process;
- Able to demonstrate how the internship and the language study will support their future career path
- Demonstration understanding of the challenges of navigating an inter-cultural professional experience or professional environment
- Demonstrated community engagement experience
- Commitment to sharing and promoting experience after program
- Confident, resilient and independent
- Culturally sensitive and can thrive and adapt in a foreign environment
Applications close - Friday 14th July
Shortlist of 5 forwarded to Study Melbourne - Friday 21 July
Phase 2 application portal opens - week of 24-28 July
Selection and first round offers - Monday 7th August
Final student list confirmed - Friday 18th August
Pre-departure workshop - Friday 30th October
China program commences - Monday 04 December 2017
China program concludes - Friday 26 January, 2018
This program has been funded by the Victorian State Government
- Mandarin classes in a reputable university/language school such as Beijing Normal University, Beijing University of Technology or Capital University of Economics and Business.
- Internship placement in a globally reputable company, e.g. Samsung, Tencent, CUCAS, Microsoft, Lenovo, etc.
- Accommodation for 8 weeks - on campus, twin share
- Cultural and Business classes
- Certificate upon completion
- Airport pickup and drop off by the host on day of arrival and departure.
- Arrival orientation, welcome ceremony and closing ceremony
- Relevant cultural activities
- 24/7 emergency contact and on the ground support
- Comprehensive Deakin travel insurance & risk management
- Peer Support / mentor
- Letter of support for Visa purposes
Volunteers (Chinese peers) will be assigned to assist you with language practice and adaptation of the local life during the whole program
- Transportation in country (except arrival and departure transfers)
- Visa Fees and Processing costs
- Deakin tuition fees associated with any unit undertaken for academic credit on this program
- Personal expenses
Deakin Abroad is allocating a $1000 Travel Grant to each student who is selected to participate on this program to assist with associated travel costs.
Domestic students undertaking the program for credit may be eligible to apply for an OS-Help Loan
to help fund their participation in the program. The purpose of OS-Help is to assist students with a range of expenses such as airfares and program costs. Please note OS-Help Loans can take up to four weeks to process.
Preference will be given to students who can undertake this program for academic credit;
Please explore the following options:
Students studying International Studies or International Relations - AIS330
Post Graduate students MWL702 - Business Practicum
Level 3 General Elective - MWL303 - Business Internship
Level 2 General Elective - APE201 Individual Professional Project
Level 3 General Elective - APE301 - Professional Practice Internship
For SEBE and Health students - you will be required to work out unit enrolment options with a course advisor should you be selected.
Global Citizenship Program Points
- Click on Apply Now, complete personal details and questionnaire
- You have to book a meeting with your course advisor to find out if you have room within your degree to take this program for credit (please receive evidence in writing)
- Your application will be assessed by Deakin Abroad (including your personal statement addressing key selection criteria)
- If you are selected for the shortlist, you will be given instructions to access a portal to complete the next phase of the application. This will include the submission of 5 x 1 minute video responses to select questions.
- Final selection will be at the discretion of Study Melbourne and their agents.
- All students will be advised of their application outcome at each stage.
Participation in this program will earn you 50 points* towards their Global Citizenship Program
*40 points for internship & 10 points for language program