Advanced Data Analytics in India - Application reopen
This study tour program is designed for a Deakin School of IT postgraduate student like you to enhance your knowledge of data analytics while at the same experiencing India and its culture/s. Involving a well-designed, two-week tailored program, the study tour will focus on data analytics, and you and your peers will undertake classes and workshops at the VIT University (Chennai Campus), participate in industry visits to Hyderabad, Telangana and cultural visits to iconic ancient landmarks including Mamallapuram. As part of the unit, the students will be required to complete a group project focusing on Text Analytics. IBM is the knowledge partner of this program. Upon completion of this program, you will receive a IBM certificate from VIT University.
This is a unique opportunity to experience student life at a leading and progressive higher-education institution, which prides itself on its multi-cultural ambience and extensive application-oriented research.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Understand Big Data analytics framework
- Feature Selection and Transformation
- Textual Data Analytics
- Mining Social Media
- Sentiment Mining
- Have an appreciation for Indian culture/s
- Gain 1 credit point as an IT elective
Information Session - hear from past students and SEBE staff about the School of IT study abroad and internship programs
25 October to 8 November
Other important dates:
- Applications close: 1 September 2017
- Deposits due: 15 September 2017
- Final payments due: 1 October 2017
Program Fee includes:
Departing from Melbourne AU$3600:
- Departing from Melbourne: AU$3600
- Departing from outside Melbourne: AU$1900 (excludes airfares and visa)
- Please note: all students departing from Melbourne must travel as a group in a Deakin organised flight
Departing outside Melbourne AU$1900:
- Visa fees (visa fees will be refunded for those who do not required a visa)
- Local transport
- Local industry and cultural visits
- Tuition and academic programs including student toolkit (training handbook and handouts)
- Travel insurance for the length of the program plus a maximum of 10 days leisure travel either immediately before or after the study component
As per above, but excludes visa, airfares and airport transfer
Program Fee does not include:
- Passport fees
- Personal expenses (spending money, phone calls, laundry etc.)
Eligibility and selection
- School of IT Postgraduate students
- Students need to have at least one elective unit available in their course to be able to enrol in this study abroad unit - please contact your course adviser for assistant
- Selection will be based on responses to the application questions and academic performance
Important to note
- Travel insurance is provided by Deakin for the length of the program, students who are travelling more than 10 days beyond the program dates will need to pay for additional coverage.
- Students must apply for Deakin Travel Insurance as soon as they have been accepted into the program to cover any unexpected withdrawals or costs that are incurred as refunds may not be available
- The OS Help loan can take up to four weeks to process. Program payments deadlines must be met regardless of the status of your OS Help application.
- All study tours are based on a minimum number of participants. If this minimum number is not reached Deakin University reserves the right to cancel this tour.
If you cancel your position on this Study Tour, cancellation fees will apply. A cancellation will only be effective when we receive written confirmation of the cancellation.
Where written notification of the cancellation is received, the cancellation charges are as follows:
Before deposit deadline: No cancellation fees apply
After deposit deadline: Loss of $500 deposit
After deposit deadline and before final payment: Loss of $500 deposit, along with any non-recoverable program fees are payable (i.e.: supplement accommodation deposits, transport, travel costs)
After final payment deadline: No refund on any program fees
Your travel insurance may cover cancellation fees. Please contact your Deakin study tour coordinator for further details about insurance claims based on program cancellations.
*Students participating in this program can earn 30 points towards Deakin's Global Citizenship Program