8 x $1000 Travel Grants available
Community Development & Environmental Change, 26th November - 16th December 2017
This exciting program offered by our partner CIS Australia combines rewarding volunteer work, abundant adventure opportunities, and cultural immersion for a well balanced African experience.
As a volunteer you will live and work in the Livingstone region that consists of a populous city and expansive outlying communities on the border with Zimbabwe, just a few kilometers from the famous Victoria Falls.
Together with other volunteers from around the globe, the local NGO African Impact staff and local community members you will work on the following areas:
- Determine what projects are most relevant and important
- You will then co-design and execute these structures.
- You will also help the local community through various traditional building projects – learning about eco-building and working with Eco-Bricks.
- You will work alongside local engineers to construct approved and structurally sound buildings and structures, answering the needs of the community.
- Structures could include community buildings, local family dwellings, water storage, benches, pump houses or classrooms. You will assist by helping with mixing cement, making and laying bricks, laying concrete floors, plastering walls, painting or refurbishing existing structures – all in a closely supervised environment.
- You might also assist with refurbishing an old playgrounds, painting a classroom, or building various recycling stations i.e. compost bins.
Working Hours: Monday to Friday, approximately 7 hours (not including lunch break)
Location: Livingstone, Zambia
Project Duration: 3 weeks
Support: Comprehensive, 24/7 on-site support from program coordinator and project leaders, plus CIS Australia 24/7 emergency hotline.
Program Fee: $2,838
What's NOT Included:
- resources, materials, equipment, and operational costs to host volunteers
- 3 meals per day, Monday through Friday
- Counseling by professionally trained and highly qualified CISaustralia staff
- Accommodation (shared) for the duration of the program
- Airport pick up and drop off
- Weekly housekeeping service
- Arrival orientation
- Project transportation
- 24/7 on the ground support / emergency contact
- Detailed pre-departure guide and counseling session
- Optional excursions - booking and / or logistical assistance
- International or domestic airfares
- Weekend meals
- Cost of optional excursions
- Laundry service (available on-site for a few dollars)
Participation in volunteering programs is open to all undergraduate students. Preference will be given to students doing the program for credit.
The following units are on offer:
MWL201 - Community Based Volunteering
APE201 - Individual Professional Project
Domestic students undertaking the program for credit may be eligible to apply for an OS-Help Loan to help fund their participation in the program. The purpose of OS-Help is to assist students with a range of expenses such as airfares and program costs. For more information click here
. Please note OS-Help Loans can take up to four weeks to process and payment deadlines must be met regardless of the status of your loan.
1. Click on Apply Now, complete personal details and questionnaire
2. Once you complete your application (including your personal statement with a minimum of 250 words), Deakin Abroad will contact you with the next steps
3. You have to book a meeting with your course advisor to find out if you have room within your degree to take this program for credit.
4. Once approved, we will forward your application to CIS Australia who will assess your application
5. Once accepted by CIS Australia, we will contact you with the next steps.
IMPORTANT TRAVEL GRANT INFORMATION FOR DEAKIN BUSINESS SCHOOL STUDENTS - $1000
- You must apply to Study Abroad after Feb 2017 and be participating in T1, T2 or T3 (2017).
- You must be enrolled in a Deakin unit and studying a Deakin Business School (DBS) degree (or a double degree with Business) in order to receive these funds.
- If you withdraw from your Study Abroad program you will be required to return these funds to Deakin University.
- If you have received any other funding from Deakin for your Study Abroad (not including OS-Help) you may not be eligible – please contact email@example.com to confirm.
- Grants are limited and are on a first-in, first-served basis.
You will earn 30 points towards the Global Citizenship Program