Volunteer Vietnam - Community Healthcare and Education
October 29 - November 18, 2017
This program run in partnership with The Global Student offers you the opportunity to help improve the quality of life of the underprivileged people in Da Nang. You will work with a local NGO called Volunteer Vietnam who have a mission to connect you with the people in need in Vietnam. You will be working in social support centres and socially disadvantaged schools in a confronting yet rewarding project. This is a hands on program and is suitable for those who are interested in helping children, the homeless, elderly and disabled, whilst gaining a unique insight into the obstacles faced by community healthcare providers in a developing country. As part of this project you will be required to work together with your fellow Deakin students to coordinate a fundraising effort to purchase much needed equipment for the support centre such as additional wheelchairs, physio equipment and teaching aides.
"The Program was really incredible! The Vietnamese people are really warm and welcoming, and it's amazing how much you can connect and communicate despite not speaking the same language. No day is ever the same and there's always a chance to give and learn something new. Definitely recommend!" - Alyce T2 2017
The main focus areas you can get involved in:
PHYSIO & OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY
You will be working with a local physiotherapist in a community home for homeless people (orphans, disabled children, elderly and mentally ill people). You will be supporting physiotherapy in areas such as stretching, Swiss ball work, transferring and lifting patients, using standing frames, helping with good posture etc. This is a very challenging and physical placement as well as being very hands-on so you should be willing to work hard and bring the necessary empathy and patience with you.
EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION & DEVELOPMENT
Providing care for children up to 3 years old. You will assist with general care and participate in activities which build confidence, teach life and social skills and give the children the personal attention that they so appreciate. These children are learning how to speak, how to walk, and how to interact with others. By talking, reading, and playing games with them, you will encourage positive development.
A lack of quality English teachers combined with low teacher to student ratios (1 teacher to 50 students) has seen a need for the help of English speaking volunteers.By volunteering you will offer students the opportunity to learn basic English and conversational English skills that will contribute to better futures. Lesson plans are provided and you’ll work with Volunteer Vietnam staff to review the lesson plan the day or morning before the class. Teaching English will be offered across various levels including Kindergarten, Primary School, Social Workers, Teachers and University students. No prior teaching experience is required.
For further information regarding all activities supported by Volunteer Vietnam in Da Nang click here
What you will get from this program:
- Learn about Vietnamese culture.
- Gain an insight into community healthcare in a developing nation.
- The enormous satisfaction of helping the disadvantaged.
- Opportunity to contribute your skills, knowledge and experience.
- Gain new skills, increased confidence, independence, improved cultural understanding, personal and professional development.
- An entry on your résumé that will give you an advantage in the job market.
- Fundraising skills
- Points towards the Global Citizenship Program
- And best of all, new friends sharing an unforgettable experience!
October 29 - November 18, 2017
Total cost: $2000
Please note, a $500 deposit is due 2 weeks after you have been issued the “Program Offer” letter.
The Final Payment is due 29 September 2017
Deposits are non refundable. Cancellation penalties apply dependent on date of withdrawal from program.
- 90 days prior to commencement, no cancellation fee.
- 61 to 90 days prior to commencement, $200 cancellation fee.
- 31 to 60 days prior to commencement, $600 cancellation fee.
- less than 31 days prior to commencement, no refund.
Further details on request.
The program fee includes:
Arranging your Program
Full pre-departure support and assistance
Dorm style accommodation (3-4 single beds per room)
Three meals a day during working week (self catering on weekends)
Transportation during the stay
Local sightseeing and weekend excursions
Local in-country team support and backup
24-hr emergency support
Certificate of Completion
The program fee does not include:
• Police/Working with Children Check
• Passport & Visa fees
• Personal activities additional to the itinerary
Participation in volunteering programs is open to all undergraduate students. Preference will be given to students doing the program for credit.
The following level 2 elective units are on offer to all students:
MWL201 - Community Based Volunteering
APE201 - Individual Professional Project
Domestic students undertaking the program for credit may be eligible to apply for an OS-Help Loan to help fund their participation in the program. The purpose of OS-Help is to assist students with a range of expenses such as airfares and program costs. For more information click here. Please note OS-Help Loans can take up to four weeks to process and payment deadlines must be met regardless of the status of your loan.
1. Click on Apply Now, complete personal details and questionnaire
2. Once you complete your application (including your personal statement with a minimum of 250 words), Deakin Abroad will contact you with the next steps
3. You have to book a meeting with your course advisor to find out if you have room within your degree to take this program for credit.
4. You may be invited to attend an interview as part of the application process.
To apply for a volunteer visa, you need an invite from Vietnam officials. Please provide us with your travel itinerary and copy of passport no later than 6 weeks
prior to departure, to allow time for the invitation letters to be processed and supplied to you to add to your visa application.
IMPORTANT TRAVEL GRANT INFORMATION FOR DEAKIN BUSINESS SCHOOL STUDENTS - $1000
- You must apply to Study Abroad after Feb 2017 and be participating in T1, T2 or T3 (2017).
- You must be enrolled in a Deakin unit and studying a Deakin Business School (DBS) degree (or a double degree with Business) in order to receive these funds.
- If you withdraw from your Study Abroad program you will be required to return these funds to Deakin University.
- If you have received any other funding from Deakin for your Study Abroad (not including OS-Help) you may not be eligible – please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Grants are limited and are on a first-in, first-served basis.
Successful applicants will receive 40 points towards their Global Citizenship Program.
30 points for attending the program and an additional 10 points for coordinating a fundraising effort.
This program is offered in partnership with The Global Student