The Spanish In-Country Language program provides a 'total immersion' experience, offering second-year Spanish students the opportunity to spend six weeks studying Spanish in Peru, and experiencing the language and culture of the Spanish speaking world in its own environment.
This program will assist students to improve their language skills, aurally and in writing. Students will build upon their knowledge of grammar, based on what they have learned previously in first year Spanish. The Spanish In-Country Program will also include a field excursion to Cuzco and Machu Picchu, as well as excursions to sites of interest in the vicinity of Lima.
This program is a 1 credit point experience. Students who complete this program will be exempt from completing ALS200 Spanish 2A.
- Spanish language classes at Pontifical Catholic University of Peru (PCUP)
- City Tour of Lima
- Paracas Natural Reserve
- Archaeological and Anthropological Museum
- Pachacamac Archaeological Sanctuary
- 3 night, 4 day visit to Cuzco and Excursionto Machu Picchu
- Homestay with a local Peruvian host family
- and other sites of interest in the vicinity of Lima
16 January – 17 February, 2018. (Dates subject to change. Final dates be advised.)
Students must have completed or be enrolled in ALS100 Spanish 1A and ALS150 Spanish 1B in 2017, but cannot have already completed ALS200 Spanish 2A.
Acceptance into this program is conditional to successful completion of ALS100 in Trimester 1 and ALS150 in Trimester 2 in 2017 and selection process lead by Spanish program staff
$4,500 (To be confirmed once final participant numbers known.)
Included in the program price:
• Accommodation with host families
• Meals with host family
• Tuition fee and instruction at PUCP campus
• Cultural activities around Lima including Paracas Natural Reserve and Pachacamac Archaeological Sanctuary
• 3 night, 4 day trip to Cuzco and Machu Picchu.
• Travel insurance for length of the program
Items not included in the price and that students should budget for:
• Return flights to and from Lima, Peru. (Students must arrive in Lima before Monday 15th January 2018)
• Transportation to and from PUCP from host family
• Passport and Visa fees
• Spending money
• Meals not with host family
Dr. Eugenia Demuro firstname.lastname@example.org
Funding and grants:
OS-HELP Loans: (only available for Bachelor degree students. Diploma of Language students not eligible.)
Domestic students may be eligible to apply for an OS-Help Loan of up to $6,567 to help fund their participation in the program. The purpose of OS-HELP is to assist students with a range of expenses, such as airfares and accommodation. More information on OS-HELP can be found here
***IMPORTANT NOTE FOR SPANISH IN-COUNTRY APPLICANTS***
A condition of applying for an OS-HELP Loan is demonstrating successful completion of at least 8 credit points in the course the Spanish In-Country Language Program contributes towards. For students in their first year of study, studying full-time, this will mean being unable to apply for an OS-HELP Loan until after Trimester 2, 2017 results are released.
Payment for the Spanish In-Country Language Program will be required by October 2017. This means students will be required to make payment upfront for their experience and apply for OS-HELP as a reimbursement of funds
Students are responsible for ensuring they review all OS-HELP Loan eligibility criteria. Further information on eligibility for OS-Help can be found here.
Complimentary travel insurance is provided by Deakin for the length of the program, plus up to 10 days coverage for personal travel. Students travelling beyond the program dates will need to pay for additional coverage.
More information can be found here on International Travel Insurance for Students
Important to note:
• Travel insurance is provided by Deakin for the length of the program, students traveling beyond the program dates will need to pay for additional coverage.
• The OS Help loan can take up to 4 weeks to process so payments deadlines must be met regardless of the status of your loan.
Faculty-led study programs will earn you 30 points towards the Global Citizenship Program
Contact the Faculty of Arts and Education Work Integrated Learning:
email@example.com (03) 9246 8759 deakin.edu.au/artsed-wil