$3,000 New Colombo Plan government scholarships available*
Team Internships + Immersion - Indonesia - November/December 2017
(January program is also available, applications opening soon)
On this program you will complete a three-week team internship in your discipline area in the bustling metropolis of Jakarta. Outside of work hours the program will comprise business, NGO and government visits, networking events and capacity-building workshops to help you build your professional skill set. Before your internship begins, you will also spend a week in Yogyakarta, the cultural capital of Indonesia, participating in language instruction and cultural immersion. This program will give you an in-depth and balanced insight into working in the Asia-Pacific, as well as developing your professional skills and connections, even in four short weeks.
Yogyakarta: Sun 19th of November - Sat 25th of November 2017
Jakarta: Sun 26th of November – Sat 16th of December 2017
Yogyakarta – Language and Cultural Immersion
Yogyakarta, commonly known as Jogja, is home to over 100 institutions of higher learning. It attracts youth from all over Indonesia and is an amazing hub for music, art and ideas. Jogja also has a rich history and is the home to incredible temples such as Borobodur and Prambanan.
Your week in Yogyakarta will be all about cultural immersion and will likely include: Introductory Indonesian language classes to help you get around (or suited to your level if you’ve got more experience)
Jakarta - Internship
- Seeing the sights, including Borobudur temple and the Sultan’s Palace
- Climbing (by jeep) Mt Merapi, the volcano that towers over Jogja
- Visiting a fantastic not-for-profit organisation such as Legal Aid Indonesia and Friends of the Earth Indonesia. Most importantly we will spend lots of time with buddies from a local university. The buddies will join in many of the activities with us and you will be able to discover Jogja with them and see how the locals really do it!
Your internship will take place in Jakarta, where you will work at your host organisation from approximately 9am-5pm each day for the three weeks. You will work with one of our consultants to secure a placement that suits your discipline and interests. At the conclusion of the program all teams will gather, along with management from the organisations, and each team will present their findings.
Eligibility and Academic Credit
- Team Composition: Each team will include 2-3 Australian students and 1-2 local students. This format gives you an opportunity to work closely in a team across cultures and language barriers. Each team can be made up of students from the same or different disciplines.
- Nature of Work: The work given by your host organisation will be project-based, although you may also be involved in the everyday tasks of the organisation. Project-based work is ideal for short-term placements and will allow you to work towards a specific goal during your time with your host organisation.
- Host Organisations: Examples of host organisations that we have worked with in the past include the Victorian Government Business Office, Edelman Indonesia, the Indonesian Biodiversity Foundation, Ogilvy & Mather Indonesia, the Alliance of Independent Journalists, Indonesia Corruption Watch, Suara.com, Red Nose Foundation, Swisscontact, the Global Peace Foundation and Jogja TV, to name a few.
Students from all disciplines
are welcome to join this program. Please check eligibility for credit with your Faculty.
The following general units have been approved for this program:
MWL303 - Business Internship
APE202 - Team Professional Project
- You may be eligible for an interest-free OS-HELP loan of up to $7,880 to participate in this program. The OS Help loan can take up to 4 weeks to process so payment deadlines must be met regardless of the status of your loan.
- You may be eligible to receive an Australian Government scholarship of $3,000 through the New Colombo Plan (NCP). To be eligible for this, you need to be an Australian citizen, 18-28 years old, undertaking the program for credit or as a compulsory part of your degree and not have received a previous NCP scholarship for a short term program. * Scholarships are limited.
Deposit of $400, due one week after your acceptance offer from International Internships, final payment due on the 19th of October.
The program deposit and fee will be paid directly to International Internships.
- Internship placement, tailored to your studies
- Pre-departure support and in-country orientation
- Accommodation for the duration of the program
- Selected group meals
- All transportation for group activities, including to and from work
- Language classes, trips and cultural activities
- Introduction to Business in Asia day
- Networking events
- Capacity building workshops
Application and Placement Process
- Airfares (international and from Yogyakarta to Jakarta)
- Passport and Visa Costs
- Spending money
- Most meals
Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis and you may be notified of acceptance before applications close. Applications can be submitted via the APPLY NOW button.
- Apply for the program via this portal.
- Deakin Abroad will forward your details to the Faculty WIL team for course credit approval.
- Once Faculty approval has been obtained, you will be advised to apply through the International Internships website: http://www.internationalinternships.com.au/team-application/
- Attend an interview with International Internships, who will decide if you are successful in gaining a place on the program.
- To accept your place, you will pay a deposit of $400. In the event that you are unsuccessful in being placed at an organisation to which you agree, within agreed time limits, your deposit will be fully refunded.
- International Internships will work with you to find an internship placement that suits you. During this time you may be required to have a second interview with your prospective host organisation.
- Once a suitable placement has been arranged you will work with your faculty to arrange academic sign off and enrol in your chosen unit.
Participation in the internship will give you 30 points towards the Global Citizenship Program