View the recording to find out all the information on this Global Environmental Placement programs offer in T3
Global Environmental Placement - Thailand - Rural Community Health Program
This project is based in the beautiful mountains of Northern Thailand. Despite having free universal health care, large numbers of minority and impoverished Thai people lack access to healthcare. The program works to support Thai healthcare professionals to expand and improve the work that they already do. Donations and additional funding can increase their resources, enabling them to improve the quality of their work.
This program provides students an amazing opportunity to shadow the work of professional doctors and nurses as they work in the community. There is a focus on preventative healthcare and simple management of issues, combined with testing and home visits.
Exercise Level: Medium
Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Project Activities: Reef monitoring, data collections, identifying species and underwater clean up
Working Hours: Approximately 7.5 hours
- Raise awareness of basic healthy living strategies and techniques for preventing disease, both communicative and non-communicative
- Enrich the lives of those in need through health-promoting activities such as education and sustainable development projects
- Follow up with patients on the results of testing for various disease and assist in educating prevention
- Contribute to the community by putting together and delivering basic medical parcels or first aid kits for remote villages
- Assist local caregivers to provide much needed home-based care for patients in their rural homes
- Gain observational healthcare / medical experience as you learn about local healthcare services, including two rural clinics
- Immerse yourself in the local Thai and hill-tribe culture learning all about the customs and also a bit of the language!
- Live in the mountains of northern Thailand, close to elephants, amazing national parks, and more than 7 different ethnic groups
Project Duration: 4 weeks
Unit of enrolment at Deakin: SLE225 Global Environmental Placement or SLE301 - Professional Practice
Partner to deliver this program: CIS Australia
Selection: Selection will be based on responses to the application questions and if necessary, a short interview with the unit chair.
Compulsory content hours:
Information session: Thursday, 26 April 2018
Introductory briefing: Thursday, 26 July 2018
Half day compulsory unit class & pre-departure session: Monday, 1 October 2018 (Burwood) / Tuesday, 2 October 2018 (Waurn Ponds)
In-country component: 11 November to 8 December 2018
Application close: Friday, 13 July 2018
The ever-friendly and polite Thai people are full of smiles (Thailand is known as the ‘Land of Smiles’). From its ever-busy cities, historic temples and palaces, and pristine, postcard-like coastlines and beaches, Thailand is a one-stop shop that has a bit of everything. Whether you thrive off of busy streets with countless vendors and outdoor dining, or prefer walking among thousands of years of history, or relaxing on a stunning beach, Thailand has something for you.
This program is located in and around Chiang Mai, 700km north of Bangkok, with a population of around 150,000 (greater metropolitan population of around one million). A historic city that dates back to 1296, Chiang Mai sits beautifully amongst the highest mountains in the country and has over 300 Buddhist temples.
The city is known to Thai people as the "Rose of the North" and is a popular tourist destination for Thai and foreigners alike who come to experience the great climate, cosmopolitan atmosphere, amazing food and to explore the surrounding mountains.
Popular activities include trekking into Hill Tribe communities, riding elephants, hiking in Doi Inthanon National Park (home of Thailand's tallest mountain), savouring tasty street food, enjoying the nightlife and witnessing the city's many festivals and cultural celebrations.
Weekends will be spent in Chiang Mai, while during the week students will be based about a one hour’s drive away in a rural village getting the unique opportunity to truly immerse in hill-tribe culture!