30th January - 24th February
(we also offer this internship in January!)
40K Globe - Social Impact Group Project INDIA
We'll send you out to a rural village in Southern India where you will spend a month responding to the needs of the locals and challenge your understanding of social impact by working towards scaling an award-winning social enterprise in rural India.
In a team of six to eight Globers, you’ll be working over four weeks to scope, implement and open a new 40K PLUS
pod in a rural Indian village.
Awarded the Innovation Award at the 2016 Australian Social Enterprise Awards, 40K PLUS is an after-school education platform that utilises technology to provide primary-aged students living in rural India access to high-quality English education.
Currently spanning 20 villages and servicing over 1073 children, the PLUS platform has proven to extend English comprehension by 2.5 years when compared to students who have not attended PLUS.
In 2017, 40K are looking to scale the platform to 1500 more children. You are invited to join a movement of young Australians to assist in scaling this program.
Alternatively, you may prefer to be a part of 40K Media Projects.
The media projects aim to develop your skills in media, communication, and marketing, whilst making real and useful content. The project focus shifts depending on the requirements of the month, but in the past these projects have:
- Created educational and fun videos to be used in the 40K PLUS curriculum.
- Created thought-provoking short documentaries to be used across 40K Globe media to build awareness around key issues.
- Created videos documenting and explaining 40K PLUS, to aid in communicating the organisation’s key achievements and goals to key stakeholders, such as Google and the Australian Government.
Whatever you chose, your work will be 'hands on', giving you the opportunity to apply your skills and learn new ones, in a practical experience. You'll have the weekends off to experience the culture that India has to offer and there will be a few organised activities that you can opt to take part in.
You will immerse yourself in another culture like you never have before - all while creating change and making friends for life.
To learn more about the program, visit the 40K Globe website
You may be eligible to participate in this program for academic credit.
Preference will be given to students doing the program for credit, please check the unit websites for prerequisite eligibility criteria.
- MWL303 Business Internship (for new Globers)
- MWL301 Team Internship (for returning Globers)
- MWL304 Advanced Business Internship
- MWL201 Community Based Volunteering
- APE201 Individual Professional Project
- AIS330 International Internship A
- SLE225 Global Environmental Placement
- Students who undertake the program for academic credit may be eligible for an interest free loan through OS-HELP.
- Deakin Abroad has been successful securing a limited number of $2000 grants thanks to the Australian Government and the New Colombo Plan (NCP) in support of students undertaking an internship with 40K Globe over T3, 2018. To be eligible, participating students must be Australian citizens undertaking the internship for academic credit towards an undergraduate degree, be under the age of 28 and hold a Commonwealth supported place at Deakin University. Please contact us for further information (once accepted) at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The program is delivered over a one-month period during T3. If the below dates don't suit you, there is also a program taking place in November 2017 and January 2018 (please check other brochures).
- Dates of the program: Tuesday 30th January - Saturday 24th February
- Students are required to make their own flight arrangements and organise their own visas (40K can offer advice). Around 2 months before your program departure date, 40K will create a Facebook group for your program and you can arrange to travel with fellow participants if you wish.
- Meet a course advisor and check if you have an elective available to attend the program for credit.
- Apply for the program through this portal to ensure you’re registered under the Deakin risk management procedures and to access the free Deakin Travel Insurance.
- You will also need to apply to 40K through their website. 40K will then be in touch directly to arrange an interview with you (within two weeks of application). Your suitability for the program will be determined during this interview and is at the discretion of 40K (offers will be made within two weeks of interview).
- Once your participation is approved, you can apply for credit with your faculty. For students undertaking one of the Business and law units listed above, a pre-approved application for credit form can be requested from Deakin Abroad.
PLEASE NOTE :
It is important you apply through both
portals so that both Deakin University and 40K Globe receive your application. You will also need to complete additional requirements within your Deakin application, once you have been accepted onto the program. There will be a 4 hour info/training session hosted by 40K, held in Melbourne for successful participants and additional formal induction to be held in India on arrival.
- Pre-departure training and in-country induction
- Accommodation for the duration of the program (excluding weekends)
- Breakfast and Dinner for the duration of the program (excluding weekends)
- Impact Project resources while in-country
- Transport costs for Impact Project related travel
- Project workshops
- In-country support (health & safety)
- Visa Costs
- Weekend accommodation, food & travel
- Personal Travel
- Spending money is at the discretion of the student. You will need a small amount to cover lunch and additional activities outside of the program.Travel insurance is provided by Deakin for the length of the program plus ten extra days. Students travelling for more than 10 days either side of the program dates will need to pay for additional coverage.
Final payments for the program (including the deposit) is non-refundable, as outlined by 40K. All fees will be paid to 40K Globe directly.
You will receive 30 points towards your Global Citizenship Program
if participating in this internship.