2017 School of Nursing and Midwifery Study Tour – Philippines
The Study Tour is conducted as HNN216 International Nursing Study Tour and is a 1 credit point level 2 elective. The unit is only open to students undertaking undergraduate studies in the School of Nursing and Midwifery. The tour is not suitable for students undertaking HNM311 in Trimester 1, 2017.
A group of 24 nursing students participate in this Study Tour and are accompanied by two Deakin University staff members. The tour is conducted annually from January – February in collaboration with the University of Santo Tomas – Manila, Silliman University – Dumaguete, Angeles Foundation University – Angeles and facilitated by GradNurse Options.
The duration of the tour is 18 nights split across Manila, Dumaguete and Angeles depending on the program arrangements.
The Study Tour is designed to provide nursing students with the opportunity to enhance their understanding of cross-cultural health and nursing care. The tour will consist of a range of activities designed to link students with policy makers, health care workers, health consumers and health agencies in the Philippines. The main focus of this study tour is community/primary health care delivery.
• Classroom sessions with the host institutions
• Information sessions and visits to government/nursing organisations
• Observational visits and shifts at a university hospital
• Community activities with host institution students
• Activities with elderly citizens and elementary students
• Health assessment activities
• Cultural and tourist activities
Saturday 21 January 2017 – Tuesday 7 February 2017*
Tour duration is 18 nights – 19 days, and is split across Manila, Dumaguete and Angeles, depending on the program arrangements.
* Note: these dates may change slightly depending on available flights and program arrangements.
The cost of the Study Tour (based on 2016 costs) is approximately $3,500. This covers airfares, accommodation, on-ground institution course fees, transport in relation to tour activities and some food.
Costs are based on USD pricing and may be impacted by currency fluctuations.
Financial assistance may be available to eligible students:
For students undertaking a double degree and participating on the study tour as an additional unit (not required for completion of your degree) OS- Help is not available.
All payment deadlines must be met regardless of loan applications.
The unit is only open to students undertaking undergraduate studies in the School of Nursing and Midwifery.
Applications for the 2017 Study Tour are now open, please ensure you complete all the requirements as requested, incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications close 28 July 2016 and selection will be made in August 2016. Participants will be notified of the outcome of applications by email. Successful applicants will be enrolled by the School into HNN216 International Nursing Study Tour.
Important to note:
• Dates are subject to change.
• Travel insurance is provided by Deakin for the length of the program plus 10 additional day, students travelling beyond the program dates (plus 10 days) will need to pay for additional coverage. Students must register for the free Deakin travel insurance.
• The OS Help loan can take up to 4 weeks to process so payments deadlines must be met regardless of the status of your loan.
Faculty-led study programs will earn you 30 points towards the Global Citizenship Program