2017 School of Nursing and Midwifery Study Tour – Bhutan
The Study Tour is conducted as HNN216 International Nursing Study Tour and is a 1 credit point level 2 elective. The unit is only open to students undertaking undergraduate studies in the School of Nursing and Midwifery. The Study Tour is not suitable for students undertaking HNN325. 2nd year students who have been selected to participate will be required to undertake HNN227 and HNN215 in Trimester 1, 2017. Fellowship students must choose the tour that is appropriate to their enrolled units. Students who are sponsored by the Australian Defence Force are not able to undertake this Study Tour.
A group of 14 nursing students can participate in this Study Tour and will be accompanied by two Deakin staff members. The tour is conducted annually from 21 October – 06 November in collaboration with the Faculty of Nursing and Public Health (FoNPH), Khesar Gyalpo University of Medical Sciences, Thimphu, Bhutan. The duration of the tour is 17 nights (3 nights (1 on the way over, 2 on the return the journey) transit in Bangkok, 12 nights in Bhutan and 1 overnight flight).
The Study Tour is designed to provide nursing students with the opportunity to enhance their understanding of cross-cultural health and nursing care. The tour will consist of a range of activities designed to link students with policy makers, health care workers, health consumers and health agencies in Bhutan.
• Classroom sessions with the host institution
• Information sessions with government officials
• Visits to the National Referral Hospital, Traditional Medicine Hospital and Health Care Units
• Observational shift(s) with buddy nurses
• Activities with buddy nursing students from FoNPH, including health assessments in the community
• Cultural and tourist activities
Saturday 21 October 2017 – Tuesday 7 November 2017.
The 2017 Study Tour will depart the Saturday following the final day of the Trimester 2, 2017 examination period.
Participants have the opportunity to undertake further independent travel on the conclusion of the study tour, the tour concludes in Bangkok.
The cost of the Study Tour (based on 2016 costs) is approximately $6,300. This covers airfares, accommodation (both in Bhutan and 3 nights in Bangkok), on-ground institution's course fees, transport in relation to tour activities, and all food in Bhutan. Breakfast is included in Bangkok.
Costs are based on USD pricing and may be impacted by currency fluctuations.
Financial assistance in the form of OS-HELP may be available to eligible students:
All costs must be paid on the published dates regardless of any loans.
For students undertaking a double degree and participating on the study tour as an additional unit (not required for completion of your degree) OS- Help is not available.
The unit is only open to students undertaking undergraduate studies in the School of Nursing and Midwifery. The Study Tour is not suitable for students undertaking HNN325.
Applications for the 2017 Study Tour are now open, please ensure you complete all the requirements as requested, incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications close 28 July 2016
Selection will be made in August 2016 and you will be notified of the outcome of your application by email. Successful applicants will be enrolled by the School into HNN216 International Nursing Study Tour.
Important to note:
• Dates are subject to change.
• Travel insurance is provided by Deakin for the length of the program plus 10 days, students travelling beyond the program dates plus 10 additional days, will need to pay for additional coverage. Students must register for the free Deakin travel insurance.
• The OS Help loan can take up to 4 weeks to process so payments deadlines must be met regardless of the status of your loan. You must show proof of enrolment in the relevant unit to apply for OS-Help.
Faculty-led study programs will earn you 30 points towards the Global Citizenship Program