2017 School of Nursing and Midwifery Study Tour – Thailand
The Study Tour is conducted as HNN216 International Nursing Study Tour and is a 1 credit point level 2 elective. The unit is only open to students undertaking undergraduate studies in the School of Nursing and Midwifery. Fellowship students must choose the tour that is appropriate to their enrolled units, 2nd year students who have been selected to participate in the Thai Study Tour will be required to undertake HNN222 and HNN217 in Trimester 1, 2017.
A group of 24 nursing students participate in this Study Tour and will be accompanied by two Deakin staff members. The tour is conducted annually from June – July in collaboration with the Faculty of Nursing Mahidol University, Bangkok, and the Boromrahonani College of Nursing, Lampang, Thailand.
The duration of the tour is 18 nights (normally 10 nights in Bangkok, 7 nights in Lampang, 1 night in Chiang Mai and 1 overnight flight).
The Study Tour is designed to provide nursing students with the opportunity to enhance their understanding of cross-cultural health and nursing care. The tour will consist of a range of activities designed to link students with policy makers, health care workers, health consumers and health agencies in Thailand. The main focus of this study tour is community/primary health care delivery.
• Classroom sessions with the host institutions
• Information sessions and visits to government/nursing organisations
• Observational visits to hospitals
• Community activities with host institution students
• Activities with elderly citizens
• Introduction to Thai massage
• Visit to an elephant conservation centre
• Health assessment activities
• Cultural and tourist activities
Saturday 17 June 2017* – Wednesday 5 July 2017
*The 2017 Study Tour will depart the Saturday following the final day of the Trimester 1, 2017 examination period
Tour duration is 18 nights – 19 days (normally 10 nights in Bangkok, 7 nights in Lampang, 1 night in Chiang Mai and 1 overnight flight).
The cost of the Study Tour (based on 2016 costs) is approximately $3,500. This covers airfares, accommodation, on-ground institution course fees, transport in relation to tour activities, and some food.
Financial assistance may be available to eligible students:
All costs must be paid on the published dates regardless of any loans.
For students undertaking a double degree and participating on the study tour as an additional unit (not required for completion of your degree) OS- Help is not available.
The unit is only open to students undertaking undergraduate studies in the School of Nursing and Midwifery.
Applications for the 2017 Study Tour are now open, please ensure you complete all the requirements as requested, incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications close 28 July 2016
and selection will be made in August 2016.
Participants will be notified of the outcome of applications by email. Successful applicants will be enrolled by the School into HNN216 International Nursing Study Tour.
Important to note:
• Dates and prices are subject to change.
• Travel insurance is provided by Deakin for the length of the program, students travelling beyond the program dates will need to pay for additional coverage. Students must register fro the free Deakin insurance.
• The OS Help loan can take up to 4 weeks to process so payments deadlines must be met regardless of the status of your loan.
Faculty-led study programs will earn you 30 points towards the Global Citizenship Program