China - Clinical Lab Practice
Undergraduate students will have the opportunity learn the theory and operation of laboratory equipment, laboratory tests, and laboratory diagnosis of common diseases in a hospital clinical setting at Dalian Medical University, China. Students will first be introduced to clinical laboratory and will then be assigned to rotations in biochemistry, immunology, microbiology, haematology and clinic laboratory. Students will complete a practice report briefly detailing the common clinical tests of each of the 5 rotations and focussing on one of the rotations in more length. Students will stay on campus in student accommodation and will interact with Chinese as well as other international students studying various medical degrees in Dalian, China.
Dates: 6 to 24 November 2017 (3 Weeks)
Deposit: $500 AUD (Deposit due date: 1 August 2017 / Final payment due date: 15 September 2017)
Program fee includes:
- Shared on campus accommodation
- Meals on campus
- Airport pick up and drop off
- Local transport
- Cultural activities
- Placement and program fee
The fee does not include:
- Deakin tuition fee
- Passport and visa fees
- Meals and incidentals
This is available for science students to study in China for 1 elective credit. Enrolment will be on an exchange basis, meaning the credit will be granted from the partner university, Dalian Medical University. Biomedical students are strongly encouraged to apply. Places are limited and students will be selected based on their application, grades and a short phone interview.
OS Help Loan
OS-Help Loans are available for domestic students for up to $7764 to help fund their participation in the program. The purpose of OS-HELP is to assist students with a range of expenses, such as airfares and accommodation. Further information on eligibility, please follow the link to the OS Help website
. Please note that the OS Help loan can take up to 4 weeks to process and payment deadlines must be met regardless of the status of your loan.
Important to note
Reho Travel Cancellation Policy
- A minimum number of 6 students is required for the program to run and places are limited to 10 students in total.
- Travel insurance is provided by Deakin for the length of the program, students travelling more than 10 days beyond the program dates will need to pay for additional coverage.
- The OS Help loan can take up to 4 weeks to process so payments deadlines must be met regardless of the status of your loan.
- All students outside of Science, Engineering and Built Environment must seek permission from their home Faculty to enrol.
- Students are reminded to apply for Deakin Travel Insurance as soon as they have been accepted into the program to cover any unexpected withdrawals or costs that are incurred as refunds may not be available.
If you cancel your position on this Study Tour, cancellation fees will apply. A cancellation will only be effective when we receive written confirmation of the cancellation.
Where written notification of the cancellation is received, the cancellation charges are as follows:
More than 89 days prior to departure:
Deposit is non-refundable
Between 90 and 56 days prior to departure:
Deposit and interim payment is non-refundable
Between 55 and 0 days prior to departure:
Deposit, interim payment and final payment is non-refundable
Deposit, interim and final payment is non-refundable
Your travel insurance may cover cancellation fees. Please contact your Deakin study tour coordinator for further details about insurance claims based on program cancellations.
International Placements grant you 40 points toward the Global Citizenship Program